I think I’ve done it: I think I’ve found the best chocolate chip cookies ever. And I’m a perfectionist, so those words aren’t used lightly. And I’m also incredibly critical of my own baking, so believe me when I say that these are quality cookies – they’re amazing, and (I think) everything you could ever want in a cookie! I don’t know if I’ve ever done this before, but when I baked these for some friends, they kept saying “these are amazing” and instead of meekly replying “thanks…”, I actually responded with, “Yeah I know, aren’t they good?!” – that’s really saying something. So go on, try them. They come highly recommended from me, from my family and from friends. So I think they’re worth it, just maybe!
And the best thing about this recipe, despite basically being perfect, is that they’re rather versatile: whether you’re someone who likes a straight-up soft, gooey chocolate chip cookies, or a crunchy cookie stuffed with dried fruit, nuts and chocolate, this recipe is for you! See my notes below about how you can manipulate the recipe to make the cookies you like best!
The Very Best Gooey Chocolate Chip Cookies
MAKES 16 massive or 30 standard cookies | allow 40 minutes
125g soft unsalted butter
1/2 cup/105g light brown sugar
6 tbs/90g caster sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
200g plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt – yes, salt is a necessity, not optional
250g dark chocolate chips (or more, depending on how much chocolate you like…)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan-forced. Line 3 baking trays with baking paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat the butter, brown sugar and caster sugar on a medium-high for a few minutes until soft, smooth and pale.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat on a low speed until fully combined.
- Beating on a low speed, gradually add the flour, bi-carb soda and salt, and beat until just combined – don’t over beat the mixture.
- Remove the bowl from the stand mixer and add the chocolate chips using a wooden spoon or silicone spatula.
- For extra large cookies, scoop balls of dough with a dessert spoon and place on the baking trays so that there are only about 6 on each tray, as they will spread to about 10cm wide.
- For regular sized or fairly small cookies scoop balls of dough with a teaspoon and place on the baking trays with enough room for spreading – these ones will only be about 5-6cm wide.
- It’s a good idea to rest the dough in the fridge for about 10 minutes before baking to ensure the cookies don’t bake too flat – though if you’re in a hurry, you don’t have to!
- For gooey cookies, bake for about 8-12 minutes (depending on size), until the edges of the cookies are browned and the middle of the cookie still looks pale, but not completely raw.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the trays for a few minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely once they are firm enough to move.
- If you do like adding other things to chocolate chip cookies, whether nuts or different types of chocolate etc., add them with the chocolate in step 5.
- For crunchy cookies, bake at 170°C for at least 10 minutes if small, at least 15 if large until the edges of the cookies are nicely browned and the middle of the cookie is golden and mostly cooked. They will continue to firm when they’re cooling out of the oven.
11 thoughts on “Best Chocolate Chip Cookies”
Oh gosh, I am embarrassingly excited about this recipe! I’ve been looking for an amazing choc chip cookie recipe forever! I am so going to try these as soon as i get the excuse!
I hope they’re all you’ve ever dreamed!! 😀
I bet they’re really really delicious!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Did someone say “chocolate”? 🍓
LikeLiked by 1 person
Hey Em, these have been awesome every time! But I was making them tonight and wondered… do you have a formula for turning them into double choc chip? Like, how much cocoa should a person add and should they alter the flour quantity?
Ooh great idea! I’d say reduce the flour by 3 tbsp and add 3 tbsp of cocoa. If the batter looks a bit runny, add a little more flour.
Let me know how it goes!
They were pretty good as double chocolate cookies too! I took out 2tbs flour and added 3tbs cocoa powder but taste testing reveals I could have added another tbs cocoa. I used white choc chips for effect 😍
Oh good! Yeah, taste testing is always a good idea!
Just tried this recipe. Excellent.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks Licy! So glad you like it!