Hopefully you’ve learnt by now that I’m somewhat in love with Mary Berry. If you haven’t, now you know. And if you don’t know who she is, you’re seriously missing out!
Let me explain…
To start with, her nickname is Mary Queen of Cakes. And she’s a queen alright! She’s the warm, cuddly grandmother that only exists in Disney. She’s gentle, kind and generous. She’s stylish and proper, but cute and fun! She’s the sort of grandmother who always has a fresh batch of cookies in the oven and in the pantry because she’s got her life that sorted. She’s like Nigella, only a grandmother. Now you understand why I like her.
Oh and just a side note, she’s also happens to be a Le Cordon Bleu trained pastry chef, and renowned British food writer and one of the judges on the Great British Bake Off. Oh and she’s a CBE. So she’s basically a perfect human being. And now you know who Mary Berry is (bask in her amazingness).
Just so we’re clear, I’ve never met Mary Berry, but several hours of The Great British Bake Off and you feel like you’ve known her for a long time.
So, with this in mind, it shouldn’t be surprising that she has a wonderful chocolate chip cookie recipe. But even more so, she has a quality double chocolate chip cookie recipe. This is a big deal because I don’t like double chocolate chip cookies (I know, burn me at the stake). But I’m serious. I’ve never liked them. They’ve always been overkill, like they’re trying to compensate for not actually being a good chocolate chip cookie, so they try to cover it up by adding some more chocolate (cocoa) to the recipe. And believe me, it doesn’t make it any better. So when I say that Mary Berry has a good double chocolate chip cookie recipe, it’s a big deal. I’m glad we covered that.
So the recipe. It’s brilliant. It undeniably converted me to double chocolate chip cookies (which, as we just learnt, is rather a big deal). It’s worth at least one attempt, even if you don’t think you’ll like them much. So hop to and get baking! Make Mary Berry proud (but she’s so lovely that she’s probably proud of you anyway, even though she doesn’t know you exist). Anyway, here’s the recipe!
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
from Mary Berry Cooks
75g golden caster sugar (normal caster sugar is fine, and you can add some brown sugar too if you like)
75g light muscovado sugar (brown sugar is fine)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
150g self-raising flour
25g cocoa powder
100g chocolate chips – white, milk or dark, it’s your choice!
- Preheat oven to 160C fan-forced and like two baking trays with baking paper.
- Beat butter and sugars in a mixer (or by hand if you’re brave) until pale and creamy.
- Gradually add vanilla and egg until combined. Then stir through flour, cocoa and chocolate chips until combined.
- Roll the mixture into golf-ball sized balls and flatten slightly. Chill for 15 minutes in the fridge (or freezer for 5 if you’re impatient).
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. If you want soft cookies pull them out after 12-13 minutes. If you want crunchier cookies, bake them for a few extra minutes. Leave to cool on tray for 10 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.